Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Etsy Shop Work: Scale

Since receiving my new camera I've been working on taking pictures (good ones for once) for my portfolio, rephotographing works for my Etsy shop, and determining a series of works to put on my business cards (I know, about time right?).

One of the most frequent comments I get about my work in the Etsy community are concerned with scale. I tell people my watercolors are small, some of them are very small. I offer exact figures, but this doesn't get the point across very well.  I need better reference in my photographs. I liked using the works against each other to show scale, like I did at school. The clothespin worked well too.

Though since returning home I've had trouble with this, my watercolors being constrained to a light box, or rigidly framed and hung. I've missed my little ledge from school, the organic layout, placing works together as I finish them. Upon that thought, another popped immediately into my head. IKEA.

So it has been done. Yesterday I spent the afternoon putting up my little shelves, arranging some watercolors and whichever doodads that had survived last month's renovation.

Hopefully arranging these works in a way that they'd actually be displayed in a home will give others a better sense of the actual sizes of my works.





1 comment:

  1. This is a really good idea; I love those shelves. I think you're still missing some recognizably-sized item, though. I'm not really sure how big that gnome is, for example. A coffee mug? Something else, haha? I don't know!

    I can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete