Monday, February 15, 2010

Artists I'm Looking At: James Turrell


James Turrell paints without traditional materials. His work is experiential and largely intangible, you cannot simply own a piece of his. He cuts out skylights in an exhibit space, allowing the sky itself to be his work. This makes his work vivacious and lively, as the work changes from moment to moment.

Professor Phillips, always the one to ask you to step out of your comfort zone, asked me to look up Turrell. The lesson I've derived here is to not allow myself to get too comfortable. There is always a tension and struggle in my painting process, the push to move forward. Turrell's work is a reminder a painting doesn't have to be limited to paint, that the strong point in my personal work is illusion vs. reality, a reminder to constantly push myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment